Celebrating 55+ Years of History
After World War II, the northwest side of Peoria grew rapidly and the Diocese of Peoria decided to create a new parish. On April 6, 1956, the first shovel of dirt was turned for a chapel and the first six classrooms of Holy Family School.
Holy Family Parish School opened on September 10, 1956, with an enrollment of 265. Three Benedictine Sisters from Nauvoo, Illinois, and three lay teachers staffed the school.
Due to the rapid growth of the parish, six additional classrooms and a cafeteria were completed in January of 1960. Construction of a convent followed, and by May of 1961, the Benedictine Sisters moved into their home on Wagner Lane. They staffed the parish school from 1956-1991.
In October of 1979, the Conventual Franciscan Friars of St. Bonaventure Province assumed pastoral care of the parish. Today, Holy Family Parish School has an enrollment of over 200 students from preschool/pre-k through eighth grade.